The sun will shine for us one day

 Even today, I still feel fear because my father passed away as usual. No matter how much we told him not to work due to illness, my father always said, "Even if I don't go to sea, you will have to stay hungry." We inherited the gift of sadness and did not feel hungry.  The only dream was to get out of this hell called the sand. That's why, like always, Dad got on the boat and I looked at it and said, "Go home and study."Even though the poverty was sky-high, my brother studied until he went to high school and I went to normal school because I knew that nothing else would help us except studying. My father used to come from the sea every night and go to the forest during the day without any effort.  I couldn't do it, so my mother started chopping sticks even when my father said no. At first, my father didn't like it, but later he didn't say anything because there was nothing else to do. I thought countless times.My mother, who grinds coconut husks all day long, comes after taking a bath to remove the smell of coconut husks. I tell my mother what I have learned throughout the day since she started cooking at night without any effort.  After listening to everything in an understandable way, the mother always said the last thing. That is, "My son, work to get out of this sorrow anyway. Dad's dream is to make you a lowyer. Work for it."  It was during this time that our lives, which were happy after eating every meal, became despondent.  Everyone in the village was talking about the fact that Peiris, the seller of the fish shop, was angry with his father because of a story told by his father.  It is because someone who was there told Piris Mudalali the story that Dad told that Piris Mudalali would rob the fish he brought to the shore with difficulty, so we turn our ears to the story of our life.


Only my brother and I knew that that was not the only reason why Pieris Mudalali was angry with his father. Pieris Mudalali's only son was in his brother's class.  Pieris Mudalali, who stopped the car, looked at us and said, "I don't need to pass so many exams to go to the sea." Tears came out of my brother's eyes, and I felt that he would be angry.  My brother had only the roof of coconut branches, the wind blowing in the moment and the clay soil. When my brother was preparing to face the high school examination, our shadow was left alone as if his arm was broken on the way. Like every day when he came from the middle of the coconut grove after school, Banda uncle came running in front of us.  When I hugged and asked, "What happened to the star?" I only heard my mother's wailing in the middle of the coconut grove. Without even realizing it, my legs went in that direction at lightning speed. I only remember my eyes turning blue when I saw the way many people surrounded my mother. In the middle of a lake of blood.  When I saw my father falling, I felt very helpless. Our father left us forever alone in this world. Even though everyone in the village said that the ropes had been loosened, but we did not have the resources to carry that story further.

My brother's only desire was to fulfill his father's dream, who spent every second for the high school cut-off. When my brother went home every day saying, "The exam is very easy", the eyes of my mother were indescribable.  "Case No. 32456. Piris Gunasekara of Bandarala"

Comments

Popular Posts